Monday, November 1, 2010

Why Homeschooling is so fun

Yes it is hard, No I don't get a break, but man it is worth it! (I have been needing to write this blog post as a reminder to me for a while now). For so many reasons schooling the kids at home is a blessing... but mostly because we are all together and we are learning so many things (me included) that have God at every root. I just love that. Just the fact that we can start a morning devotional during breakfast or read scriptures or Friend magazine articles during lunch..there is nothing in the world I would give now to NOT have that chance to teach them and be with them. There are days when it seems nothing is going right - in fact there was one particular day when I considered getting out the video camera just to prove to someone (anyone) how absolutely NUTS our structured learning time was. We are still figuring things out but this homeschooling adventure surely is a stretch as well as a confirmation that we were led here. Here are just a few things we have been doing that have been just an absolute blast...
Learning Closet Time. They choose something out of the closet, I engage with them. I try to put items in there that might spark their interest and have THEM open the door to WANT to learn more about it. I sit back and try to be patient and wait for them to approach me. If it doesn't happen right away - I trust that it will when they are ready - and man - when they are ready - they will soar!


Science experiments.
Building legos... Even though legos everywhere seemed to be my nemesis while Janell and the kids were living with me this summer, the kids were so creative with them. There were property rights, and monetary systems, and governmental offices, natural disasters, judgments and rulings, and some of the most creative ships houses and infrastructure ever built.




Play is learning too! I have had to really let go on this one and just go with what the kids are interested in and letting them explore (and make as mess at times as it were). A perfect example (there are 100 more to share) but the biggest one is the "water game". I began to dig out the grass in the area by our big rocks to get it ready to plant some flowers. Before I could get the area fixed, several boys moved in and set up shop known as the "water game" for the last 4 months. I was a little upset at how my yard was being demolished, but all of that was overridden by the amount of learning that was taking place (not just from the young ones either). Every kid (and adults too) were out there role playing, simulating asteroid hits and impact craters, building temples like the pioneers, building infrastructure with money and everything, lashing tee pees and boats, learning concepts of water pressure, Kennecott copper mine style excavation...I mean you name it - they covered it! Now I have a hole that they can stand in to their chests (apparently against Osha regulations) - but the crater in my yard will only last a few months whereas the memories and the sheer exploration that came from that will last forever (many of the sparks are still going strong that started from a simple muddy area and a hose). This is love of learning at it's best.

Bugs, snakes...the Great OUTDOORS and mother nature.





Late night star explorations, meteor shower watching, discussions of planets and the creation, bug finding (and nurturing for months to follow)......research etc....




Even the littlest ones learn mostly through example. But they can help in their own way too! Sometimes the project will take 4 x as long (which is a teensy tiny bit frustrating) but then that is a great lesson for me on patience. Also - this gives the bigger ones a chance to learn to be a 'mentor" to the younger ones - so they learn to teach, to be patient etc... They always say - if you really want to learn something - teach it!

Watch a funny video of Owen singing "Multiplication" during our "Dinner and a show" evening for Grandma and Grandpa. A 2 year old just emulating what he sees and hears (including the butt scratching at the beginning). I love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S4M6uFsVGc


We can have fun (and stay up late if needed) while learning. Survival and preparedness skills are important too. The kids don't even know they are learning half the time. So when someone asks them about their "schooling" they can't always say they are sitting at a desk with a worksheet learning because they aren't. I know they are being taught but alot of times they don't always know it. Our motto - "Inspire not require".



See a darling video of Jr and Pay doing their "Laundry Dances" on youtube. It's called the Laundry Dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefaPq8DxVE




Work is learning too! I never considered it much before that teaching kids to work is just as important as learning 2 + 2. As they do household chores at my side alot of the day they are learning invaluable lessons and it opens up time for impromptu conversations or inspiration time. I like to call this "adult skills". When I had to rush them out the door for 7 1/2 hours a day before, the nights would get so crammed and it seemed I just didn't have time to take it easy with them, or openly talk to them without being so rushed. Not to mention chores - we could barely squeeze in baths let alone teaching life skills before. I'm grateful for that part too. Math practice comes while baking together, intense discussions of feelings come while hanging laundry, etc....



Going to museums, science centers, and the like - during the day and have the whole place to your self! That is so great. We can explore and take our time without feeling rushed or waiting in lines etc.... There are so many great places to visit around the SLC area that have so many learning opportunities. And - I am discovering that many of these places have online worksheets or ideas of things to point out while there that will help with the learning. Of course there is the age differences - but it doesnt seem to matter most of the time. Owen is picking up on huge words and concepts (that for a 2 year old is really impressive - like impace crater or erosion)....while Miles isn't being held back in any way. Not to mention the amount of organized field trips and activites we get to participate in (other than just our own). We have done more field trip type activities in 2 months than Miles was able to do in 2 years at school. Not that field trips are everything.....but it sure opens your eyes to the exploring the world around you in a hands on way.


Travel - whenever you want. If dad has to go on a business trip -we have the freedom to go with him and stay a week if we want. Plus it opens a whole new learning adventure in preparing for and exploring a new part of the world (the rocks, the history, the people, directions, playing games in the car......the possibilities are endless (and somewhat tiring and overwhelming).



Tons of Hikes and Nature walks. What better way to connect with God than being around His creations? We have had so many spontaneous discussions about the atmosphere, and geology and why the sky is blue and how are rainbows formed, history of Bonneville lake....you name it - just from being on hikes. There have been so many "sparks" (as we look for) - that I can hardly keep up on nurturing those sparks. The kids are discovering what THEY are interested in learning and at what time...it isn't conventional but it is working beautifully. We are able to combine all "subjects" into one rather than compartmentalize (meaning separating math from science from history from religion etc...) the world is not compartmentalized like that so why should a child's education be? They are all one.

See these links to more about Sparks on a well known homeschooling coach's blog (that I follow) - you may recognize some of the boys in the pictures).
http://home-school-coach.com/sparks-learning-magic-fun-children-familiar-conversations-joy-family-life-parents-mentors/
http://home-school-coach.com/howto-identify-childs-love-learning-responding-sparks/

This homeschooling adventure has admittedly been hard, yet I feel so grateful that God has asked me to do this. He isn't leaving me alone either. So much prayer and thought go into this. My relationships are strengthening, my children's testimonies are solidifying, I am learning and finding so many hidden treasures of knowledge, they are happy, I am happy (most days), I just can't see the harm in this. I'm just grateful to have this opportunity to change the lives of at least 4 youngsters (as well as mine and Jeremy's).

3 comments:

  1. Finally the Spencer family is alive!!! So glad things are going well for you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ella literally grew up right before my eyes tonight! I am so glad you finally put some stuff on! I LOVE your homeschool post. I do feel like I have WAY less time to get anything done but I wouldn't trade it for the world! I am so proud of you and for all that you are doing for your family. They are so awesome! Thanks for letting us have Miles yesterday-he is always an absolute joy! You are an amazing mother (and I MISS YOU!!!)

    ReplyDelete